Summer Reading List
Click here for the St. Aloysius Summer Reading Challenge
What to Do – Grades 3-8
Read two to three books from the Gr. K-8 Reading Lists (see next link above). Choose one of the books to create a poster display for the book. Bring poster with you to Open House. Be ready to answer questions about the other books you read as well. This assignment is for grades 3-8 only.
What to Do – Grades K-2
Read two to three books from the Gr. K-8 Reading Lists (see next link above). Gr. K-2 will complete a Book Report (with help is okay!) Please print this book report form HERE.
Poster Should Include the Following:
- Book Information
- Main Events:
- Title of Book: should be neatly typed or handwritten with creative lettering.
- Illustrator of Book: should be neatly typed or handwritten with creative lettering.
- Publishing Information: Include publisher, city of publication, and copyright date of book neatly typed or handwritten. (This may be smaller in size than the other book information.)
Hand drawn or computer images of characters in the book. Each character should be labeled for the poster viewer.
This is where the story takes place. Be creative with your representation of the setting in the book. Some books have multiple settings, include up to three settings if necessary.
This is what the story is basically about in one or two sentences. It is often the problem and solution of the story.
These are the situations that move the story from beginning to end. Include 6-8 Main Events that are very important to the story. Do not include information that is not important.
Write a one page summary of the story giving a good description of the beginning, middle, and end of the story.
- Grades 6-8 should type their summary.
- Grades 4-5 may use cursive handwriting or type their summary.
- Grade 3 may use their best printing for their summary.
Be Creative and Neat:
- Using Shapes can tell the viewer the subject of the book on sight.
- Using construction paper to back your information will make your report look clean and crisp.
- Use Colored paper, colored pencils, markers, computer images, and anything else to make your project shine.
Bring your project to Meet the Teacher Night for Your Reward
All students attending Open House and bringing their completed poster will receive
- A Free Dress Pass (to use on Free Dress Pass days).
- A coupon for Ice Cream on the day of your choice.
- A great start to the new school year!
Look at Examples on this page. See if you can do an even better job! All examples were completed by 4th grade students.